Friday, June 1, 2012

Trying the MOST again..

Syracuse doesn't have a ton of indoor things to do for kids, and A has been a bit picky about which of those places he actually likes. There is a Museum of Science and Technology (MOST) downtown, and it offers some activities for kids, including a fun climbing/sliding structure. I took A there a few times when he was little, but he never really liked it, mostly because that structure has a 'ball blaster' in it that makes a really loud noise and freaks him out. This, combined with the fact that parking downtown is hell, and that the entrance is not cheap ($8 for adults, $5 for kids), made me not try it again in over a year. But it was raining this morning, and since A's three now, he's able to enjoy more things than he used to, so I decided to give it another try. I also thought that since it was a weekday morning, it might not be too crowded and we could enjoy the place without too much noise and mayhem... guess I was wrong on that one...

A was very excited about going. It took us a while to find a parking spot, and I started regretting my choice when I saw at least ten school buses parked nearby. My whole plan of having the place to ourself was falling apart. When we went inside, he was definitly taken aback by the noise level, so I offered to go look at the model trains. (in truth, just one model train going around)


 That kept him busy for a while, I even wondered if we were going to be stuck there the whole time, but he evetually agreed to go explore the rest... but every time we got to a new part, a big group of kids would show up and we had to move on.
We eventually made it to the climbing structure, and he seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit, until a lady told us we had to wear socks to be in it..oops!

It didn't really matter, because one of the school groups was just about to climb in, so we made a quick exit and headed to the toddler area. A enjoyed building a little house for a while and tried a few more activities.


he picked a space shuttle from the gift store


Overall, it was an improved visit, but still not worth the $15 I had to shell out (not including parking--$2-- and a toy from the gift shop --$5). When I asked him if he had fun, A said yes and that he would like to come back with a friend. I may sound like a spoiled brat, but when you've been to really cool kids museums (like the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia -- see trip to PA post) or to "real" science and technology museums like we have in Paris, this place seems a bit lame (and very loud). I think I'll wait a while until we try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment