Monday, February 7, 2011

My Toddler Hates Our New Cars!

SleepyPapa and I got new cars over the weekend! No, we didn't win the lottery, but both our cars were getting to that point where you just need to switch them,and so we did. SleepyPapa got a new version of his SUV and I switched from a VW Beetle to a Subaru Impreza. Believe me, I am happy to forgo the flower power for the fact that I don't have to climb in the back of the car to install A. in his car seat!

My New Car!
Anyway, all that change was very exciting, except for one member of our family... A. was not happy to say bye-bye to the old cars, not happy at all!
On the way back from the dealership, he spent the ride telling me that the other car was crying because we left it. I thought he would get over it, but it got worse. The next morning, we decided to go to the pool, A. was very excited, until we got to the garage... He started screaming when we got close to my car, so we decided to go in the truck, since it's pretty similar to the old truck, but that didn't work either. He started crying his eyes out! Needless to say, we went back in the house and forgot about the pool for a while. We made a second attempt, but to no avail...
In the afternoon, we headed out to a Super Bowl party, but I had to spend the trip in the back seat while he hung on to me for dear life. Finally, this morning, he had to go in SleepyPapa's truck to go to the sitter's, he cried for a while but eventually calmed down.
I was a little worried about picking him up, so I stopped by Target to get two rubber dinosaurs, or "RRRAHs!" as A. calls them. I put them in his car seat, took a picture and brought my camera up with me to show him while he was putting his coat on. He was excited to see the picture, but still a little apprehensive when we got near the car.  In the end I have to say, my two pals the "RRRAHs!" did the trick, and he was a happy camper on the way home.
I am just hoping our next car trip goes as smoothly...

What about you? Does your child get emotionally attached to things you don't expect? How do you deal with it?

My friends the "Rhaas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment