Monday, August 22, 2011

Women Need Not Apply

A and I have been having a great summer: lots of fun, better sleep, and nice weather. When it's just the two or three of us, it's great, but A has entered a new phase that makes some social interactions a bit awkward... He pushes women away. It doesn't matter if he knows them or not, he wants nothing to do with them and makes these punching gestures towards them if they so much as try to talk to him! The only ones that he accepts are me, my mom, and his babysitter.. Most men are OK, he'll sometimes seek their attention, and is always ready to laugh with them.

I was talking about it with another mom who has two boys and she says her boys went through the same thing. Her explanation is that they are entirely satisfied with their mom (yey!) and think that the other women are trying to take her place, so they push them away. I think it makes total sense! I also think that men are usually better at playing, and little ones respond to that well.

As with everything else, it's a phase and we'll just wait it out and explain to him that it's not the best way to interact with other people, and I'll just keep apologizing to all the women that cross our path and have the bad idea of trying to say hi to a cute toddler... In the meantime, I'm not sure how he'll deal with his two female teachers when he starts preschool in a couple weeks... oops!

Have you ever had to deal with that kind of reaction in your child? How did you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment