Monday, May 9, 2011

Hunting for Ants

For a few days now, we have been invaded by ants, it's an annoyance, but in our house, it has turned into a great source of entertainment!
My Mom, who is watching A when I go to work these days, invented this little game of capturing the ants so we can release them in the backyard. A really loves it: he's on the lookout and whenever he spots one, he yells excitedly: " fourmi! fourmi!, Mannie (his name for my Mom), attrapper fourmi!".  ("ant, ant, catch ant"), while he goes to get the little plastic box that has become the ants' transit center.

showing off the ants
the 'transit center'
If I try to catch the ants and don't go fast enough, he'll call his grandmother to the rescue because he knows she's an ace ant-catcher! He also likes to count the ants in the box.

 I have to give credit to my Mom for find a fun way to deal with the ants that avoids killing them (and thereby avoids teaching A to be violent against living creatures). In the meantime, I have found out that the ants don't like cinnamon, so I have sprinkled some all around the living room, and have noted quite a difference in the number of ants trotting through our house. There's just enough left to play a game of ant-catching here and there...

No comments:

Post a Comment