Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Parent-Teacher Conference

Two weeks ago, we had our first "parent-teacher" conference. It sounds so formal for a child who's under 3, but I think it's nice to have some quiet time with the teacher, so she can tell us how A is doing, beyond the quick "he had a good day today", or "he pushed somebody", while I'm trying to get a coat on and she's wiping some kid's butt.

Anyway, A's teacher gave me a checklist of skills kids are expected to acquire by the time they are three and then we discussed things.
So here's how he's doing:
-great gross motor development (I knew that).
-great fine motor development
- ok on social & personal development: he's doing fine with most things but is still learning how to " engage in cooperative play", although the teacher says he's getting better.
The other thing he's still struggling with is mostly using words to express his needs. I guess he's not very talkative there (which I'm not too concerned about because I know he speaks two languages pretty well at home, so it's just a matter of time)
The teacher did say that he clams up when other adults come in the room and he only wants to interact with his own teachers.

All this comes as no surprise to me, but I am thrilled to hear that he's starting to play better with everybody. The teacher also said he's a good listener, a great helper, and a leader in the lunch clean-up!
On a side note, A is not crying at drop-off anymore.

A at school.. looks like he likes it!

Once again, I cannot begin to say how much I like A's school. At the beginning of the year, I was really worried about how he would do, given his age and personality, but he is doing well and greatly benefiting from the structure and the social setting.
The teachers do an amazing job at working with each child as well as with the group. They correct behaviors in a very gentle way, without making the children feel bad. They are talented women I truly admire.

When did you child start "school"? How did they adapt?


No comments:

Post a Comment